The early Congregationalists were always closely allied to the religious denomination known as the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion and it was by friends in Warrington that funds were forthcoming to built the first chapel of St. John's Chapel in St. John's Street. They happily worshipped together for about ten years until a dispute arose which resulted in a splinter group leaving to form their own congregation.
This new group were supported by Mr. William Pennington, a local builder and property owner, whose name was perpetuated in "Pennington' Row" - a number of terraced houses in Canal Street. Mr. Pennington in 1830 built St. Luke's Chapel and Schoolroom in Mason Street for the benefit of the new congregation. William Pennington died on 12th October, 1833. His wife Elizabeth in January, 1835 and his son John on 31st. May, 1835.
The building was bought by Sir John Brunner in 1896 and presented to the Town to be used primarily as a Guild Hall by the Trades Unions and the Friendly Societies. It was demolished about 1978 having been disused for some time.