In 1816 a new vicar replaced Rev Keyt. He was Rev. Frederick Master MA, who served from June 1st of that year throughout the period covered by this chapter. He was a man of many qualities, some good and some bad, but his time was characterised by a number of disputes of 'parson versus people'. His ministry has been described as being 'long and turbulent' because of his' most unfortunate manner'1 .
In 1817 a branch of The Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion was established in Runcorn and its members were worshipping in a chapel in St. John Street in the following year2 . The Congregationalists met from 1829 in various houses. In 1830 they opened a school and in 1832 a chapel which were both dedicated to St. Luke. In 1835 a substantial chapel, Bethesda, was built in High Street opposite Camden House. The chapel cost £6,000 and this cost was met by John Tomkinson, the local quarry owner. Later a school room was opened in Vicar Street3 .
In 1838 the Anglicans built another church, Holy Trinity, 'in a desire to build a place of worship where evangelical services could be held' as an alternative to the parish church. The Johnson brothers played a large part in establishing this church, paying substantially towards its building and subsequently in running it4 . An associated Sunday school was built the following year. Holy Trinity became a separate parish in 18405 .