- 1115 Runcorn Priory founded by 2nd. Baron of Halton. It was a foundation of the Augustinian Order of Canons Regular, also known as the Black Canons, because of the black cloak which they wore.
1134 During the time of the 3rd. Baron of Halton, the Priory moved from Runcorn to Norton.
- 1200 Norton Priory expanded. The one surviving processional doorway from the church dates from this period.
1234 A large part of the priory destroyed by fire and rebuilt.
- 1300 A beautiful mosaic tiled floor laid in the Church. The largest area of this type of floor in any Church in Britain was excavated at Norton. A large East end chapel was added to the Church to house the "Holy Cross of Norton". This Cross was said to have miraculous healing powers.
1300-1366 The Priory went through a turbulent period and was forced to sell one of its endowed Churches, at Ratcliffe-on-Soar, to raise money.
- 1366 Richard Wyche became Prior and turned the fortunes of the Priory around.
1391 Norton was elevated to the status of a mitred Abbey, only the 2nd. mitred Abbey in Cheshire. Abbot Wyche was the first Abbot of Norton Abbey. The Abbot was permitted to wear the mitre and Papal ring, and carry the Papal staff.
- 1400 The statue of St.Christopher dates from this period in the Abbey's history.
1536 Norton Abbey dissolved by King Henry VIII
- 1545 The Abbey and its estate was bought by Sir Richard Brooke, Vice Admiral of England. He utilised some of the Abbey buildings as part of his Tudor house.
1750 A Georgian mansion was built on the site of the Abbey. Only the undercroft of the Cellerar's range was preserved from the old Abbey, plus one of the processional doorways from the Church, the statue of St. Christopher, and the passageway which led from the Abbey courtyard to the cloister . At some time the mansion was renamed "Norton Priory " again.
- 1868 A new entrance to the mansion was constructed, incorporating the 12c. processional doorway.
1922 The Brooke family left Norton.
- 1928 The mansion was demolished, leaving only the Abbey remains standing. The site became overgrown.
1964 St.Christopher statue given to Liverpool Museum.
- 1970 Archeological excavations started at Norton Priory.
1975 The excavated site opened to the public.
- 1982 A purpose built museum opened at Norton Priory, and the St.Christopher statue was returned on loan to Norton.
1996 The statue returned to Liverpool for conservation, and the importance of this statue was recognised.
- 1999 St.Christopher returned to Norton, displayed in a purpose-built area,officially opened by Sir Richard Brooke Bart.
- 2016 An upgraded Museum building was opened by the 12th. Baronet, Sir Richard Chistopher Brooke. Compared to the 1982 building this new building incorporated all the undercroft remains inside itself, giving it all-weather protection. It also had more display space