A reconstruct of a quarry wagon. Only the pieces of rail are original, but not where they were found. The Quarry face belongs to the Runcorn Boundary Quarry
A closer look at Runcorn Boundary Quarry
A face of the Stonehills Quarry, popularly known as "Stenhills"
The Highland Road quarry was one filled in and transformed in the 1920's'. Here there are bowling greens,tennis courts, bandstand and a putting green.
Top of one of the quarry faces of the Highland Road quarry
This shows the slots carved into the rock face to support a crane, Highland Road quarry.
This is one part of the Highlands road quarry which was not landscaped.
An old tramway route, now used as a footpath, meanders through the hills. it follows the exact path as shown on old maps. Its last quarry use was to transport the waste material from the newer
Weston quarries to fill in the older exhausted Runcorn quarries.
One of the best known routes into the Runcorn hill site, this rock-cut ravine was probably the entrance to Runcorn Boundary Quarry. The sides show signs of where gates were fixed. The path was the tramway route to get the stone down what is now Sandy Lane, Weston Point, to the docks.
Blocked entrance to Weston North Quarry, used as a Council tip in the 1960's
Top of Quarry face of Mill Brow Quarry,another 1920's landscaping, which became Rock Park with tennis courts etc.
More of Mill Brow quarry, now Rock Park, today
South quarry, Weston. Completely filled in during the 1970's'
East Quarry, Weston. This was probably the largest of the quarries. It was used as settling beds for lime slurry from local chemical factories during WW2 and up to the 1970's. Other chemical by-products were also dumped there before it was closed and grassed over. Unfortunately traces of these chemicals were discovered in nearby houses in the 1990's and most of these had to be demolished.
Wrights Quarry and East Quarry, Weston. This view is taken from the other end of the quarry sites to the previous view, i.e. from the Wright's Quarry end. The quarry came up to the stony outcrop in the foreground. Here stood a small row of cottages known as 'Mount Serrat', right on the edge of the quarry. Only this rock outcrop where the cottages stood, and the path which led to them from nearby Weston Road, survives.
The only remaining quarry which gives some idea of the size and depth of the original quarry, although this has been partially filled in with spoil. Locally known as 'Frogs Mouth Quarry', from the shape of an overhanging rock. The area is also known as 'Happy Valley'